Halloween is a fun time of year, but it can also be dangerous for your pets. If you’re planning to take your pet trick-or-treating on Halloween night or just want to ensure that they are safe during a festive holiday party, here are some tips to help keep them out of harm’s way:
The most common danger of chocolate for pets is the methylxanthines it contains. These are toxic to dogs, cats and other animals; they can cause seizures, vomiting and diarrhea, hyperactivity and tremors in pets that eat enough of it.
If you’re worried about your pet having access to candy this Halloween (or any day), there are some simple things you can do:
- Keep all chocolate out of reach of your furry friend(s). Place sweets in a closed container to prevent any pet curiosity.
- Make sure that if your pet does get into some chocolate that you call your vet right away so they can help flush out their system before any serious damage has been done.
Candy can also be toxic to pets when ingested in massive quantities. Sugary, high-fat candy can lead to pancreatitis which is potentially fatal. Symptoms of this include a decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and lethargy.
Another thing to acknowledge is that Halloween candy is a choking hazard for pets, so if your dog has eaten a hard piece of candy without chewing they could potentially start choking.
Other Foods to Avoid
A few foods that should be avoided if you’re planning to host a party for Halloween are grapes and raisins, which can cause kidney failure in dogs. The symptoms of kidney failure include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy and loss of appetite. You should take your pet to a veterinarian immediately if he exhibits these signs after eating grapes or raisins.
The best way to treat kidney failure is through medication and intravenous fluids; however, it’s important that you act quickly so that the damage done by the toxins doesn’t become permanent.
Glow Sticks, Costumes and Candles
Some Halloween decorations and costumes can be harmful to pets. Glow sticks, for example, are popular among cats because they’re colorful and have a fun glow-in-the-dark effect. But if ingested or chewed on by your dog or cat, they may break open inside the animal’s stomach or mouth. This can cause serious injury or death if there is enough fluid in the stick that gets into their system.
Costumes for pets can also pose dangers if they impair vision or constrict air flow (such as with masks). It’s important that you take steps to ensure that your pet is comfortable while wearing one of these outfits so they don’t get overheated or injured during trick-or-treating festivities!
Finally–and perhaps most importantly–you should always monitor any candles used during Halloween parties at home since many pets love licking them (and often get burned)!
Keep Your Pets Safe this Halloween.
To keep your pet safe this Halloween, follow these additional tips:
Make sure they’re indoors and away from trick-or-treaters. The holiday can be stressful for pets, especially if they don’t know the people coming to the door. If you have a dog or cat that you think might get scared by loud noises and strangers, it’s best to keep them inside during trick-or-treating hours (after sunset).
Keep them away from your Halloween party. If you plan to host a party this year, make sure there’s no food out for guests that could be accessible to pets; also lock up any candy that may be left over after everyone leaves so that no one accidentally leaves their bag unattended in front of where your animal(s) could reach it later on! And remember: glow sticks aren’t just fun at concerts–they’re also dangerous if ingested by animals!