Halloween is a wonderful time for kids to get out in the neighborhood and have heap loads of fun, but for our furry friends there are lots of lurking dangers. During Halloween, calls to veterinarian offices increase 12 percent due poisoning. Pets are drawn to chocolate, candy, raisins, candy wrappers, décor, and glow sticks.
Chocolate is the most toxic candy for pets to ingest. The smell and taste of chocolate draws the animal in and they tend to overindulge. The chemicals in chocolate that are dangerous to pets are the methylxanthines. To avoid any issues keep chocolate out of reach of pets and throw away wrappers in sealed containers. Make sure to be diligent about the candy wrappers too. Even trace amounts of chocolate and candy can harm your furry friends, and the wrappers themselves can also injure their digestive systems.
Candy indulgence is often another reason that veterinarian offices are contacted. The ingestion of massive quantities of sugary, high-fat candy can lead to pancreatitis which is potentially fatal. Symptoms of this include a decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, lethargy, and potentially kidney failure and organ damage.
Raisins are a treat that must absolutely be avoided. Raisins and grapes can cause kidney failure even in the smallest amounts. Symptoms include vomiting, nausea, decreased appetite, lethargy, abdominal pain, and severe kidney failure.
Glow sticks, costumes and candles are décor that are potentially hazardous to animals. Cats especially are attracted to glow sticks and chew on them breaking them open. Ingesting the contents can cause pain and irritation in the mouth.
Costumes for pets, although adorable, are not necessarily the best idea because they can impair vision and constrict air flow. As for candles, open flames should always be monitored. The coats of cats and dogs can easily ignite.
Enjoy your trick or treating, but be aware of these dangers and keep your furry friends safe this Halloween.