Know Which Landscaping Plants Are Toxic for Your Dog
Every dog owner knows that dogs love to explore with their noses and their mouths. Some dogs are more curious than others about things that catch their attention. And plants are just the kind of curiosity they like to check out. Unfortunately, some plants are poisonous and can cause serious illnesses for your dog. Some plants can be fatal if your dog ingests enough of them. This is particularly the case for small dogs. It doesn’t take much to overwhelm the system of a small dog.
As a responsible dog owner, you should be aware of which plants are toxic for your dog. Become familiar with what they look like. Be able to recognize them in your yard or on walks so you can keep your dog away from them. These plants are widely used and look beautiful in landscapes, but you should avoid planting them where your dog could access them. Here is a list of common plants that are very toxic to your dog, as well as descriptions of what can happen if your dog eats them.
Azaleas – Azalea leaves can irritate your dog’s mouth and cause vomiting and diarrhea. If your dog ingests enough of them, they can cause a drop in blood pressure, coma, and even death.
Black Walnut – Black walnut tree nuts look like balls on the ground. They turn black and are full of decay and mold. Your dog will probably want to pick them up and chew on them. However, black walnuts can make your dog very sick to its stomach. The nuts can also cause seizures, in addition to an upset stomach.
Chrysanthemums – Mums contain many substances that are particularly irritating and dangerous to dogs. Common symptoms of mum ingestion include vomiting, diarrhea, drooling and incoordination.
Daffodils – All parts of daffodils are poisonous, but the bulb is the most toxic to dogs. Eating any part of a daffodil can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, arrhythmias, convulsions, and a serious drop in blood pressure.
Foxglove – Every part of the foxglove plant is very dangerous for your dog, from the seeds to the leaves and the flowers. These plants can cause cardiac failure and death. It is very important to keep your dog away from foxgloves.
Iris – Eating irises can make your dog salivate, vomit, and drool. They can cause diarrhea and cause your dog to become lethargic. They can also cause severe skin irritation.
Oleander – You can find this flowering shrub across the southern part of the United States and California. It is highly toxic to dogs. Ingesting it can cause fatal heart abnormalities, muscle tremors, incoordination, vomiting, and bloody diarrhea.
Peonies – Another favorite flowering shrub, peonies can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and decreased energy when ingested by your dog.
Rhododendron – Rhododendrons are in the same family as azaleas. They can irritate your dog’s mouth and cause vomiting and diarrhea. If your dog ingests enough of them, they can cause a drop in blood pressure, coma, and even death.
Sago Palm – The sago palm is a very dangerously poisonous plant to dogs. Ingesting it will cause bloody vomiting and diarrhea, bleeding disorders, liver failure, and death. In cooler climates, this palm is a common houseplant, making it more accessible to your dog.
Tulips – all parts of the tulip plant are toxic to dogs, but the bulb is the most poisonous. Eating tulips can cause significant oral irritation, excessive drooling and nausea.
This list is not exclusive by any means. There are many other plants that are toxic to your dog. You should be aware of what those are. Here is a quick list of some of the most dangerous ones:
- Castor bean or castor oil plant (Ricinus communis)
- Cyclamen (Cylamen spp.)
- Dumbcane (Dieffenbachia)
- Hemlock (Conium maculatum)
- English Ivy, both leaves and berries (Hedera helix)
- Mistletoe (Viscum album)
- Oleander (Nerium oleander)
- Thorn apple or jimsonweed (Datura stramonium)
- Yew (Taxus spp.)
- Any mushroom you cannot identify
For more information on toxic plants that are dangerous for your dog, visit the ASPCA’s website. The ASPCA publishes an extensive list of Toxic and Non-toxic Plants. If you suspect your dog has eaten one of these toxic plants, consider it a life-threatening emergency for your dog and contact your vet immediately.
Contact the Pet Sitting pros at Paw Pals for more information about their services
Don’t risk your dog’s well-being by entrusting it to someone who is not familiar with the health risks these toxic plants can present to your dog. Instead, use a dog walking and dog sitting service that will keep your dog away from toxic plants and other dangerous substances. The professionals at Paw Pals know about these risks and are trained in rendering first aid if your dog gets into these poisonous plants. Reach out to Paw Pals today to schedule their services.