The question sometimes arises: should I get a cat or a dog? Both cats and dogs are wonderful companions, and while dogs are the kind of pet that you can take out and about with you, there are some wonderful benefits to owning cats.
Cats can make the best companions for people who find the idea of taking care of a dog daunting. Dogs, especially puppies, require a lot of time, training, and patience, and above all an authoritative presence. Cat care, on the other hand, has a tendency to be less time-consuming. Here are some great reasons why adopting a cat or a kitten is a superb idea:
- No potty-training: Cats naturally know to use a litter box. It is ingrained in their DNA to first dig a hole, then do their business, and then cover it up. So a litter box is actually catering to their primal urges. Just a note: cats like to have a clean place to go to the bathroom. So if you don’t clean their litter box, they won’t use it.
- Pest control: Another primal urge is hunting vermin such as mice. Cats will do this free of charge, most of the time…
- Emotion sensors: Cats are actually quite perceptive and attuned with their companion’s emotions. They can sense when their human doesn’t feel well, and be content to be a furry heating pad and to cuddle. With their serene nature, cats have also been known to help lower blood pressure and improve their companion’s mood, making them calmer and happier.
- Cleanliness: Cats spend hours cleaning themselves. They like to be clean and tidy.
- Sociable: Cats are endlessly amused with their antics, whether hiding in the tiniest of boxes, sleeping upside-down, or frantically racing through the house. They genuinely enjoy interacting with people, sometimes observing discretely from atop a sofa back, sometimes plopping themselves down right in the middle of things.
There are thousands of pets waiting to be adopted into loving forever homes. Perhaps it’s time for you to bring home a loving cat and give him/her a second chance. Both of your lives life will be fuller because of it!